Looking for Artists & Collections
Stephens Central is always looking for talented local artists and those who would like to share interesting collections with the public. Displays generally are installed on the first of the month and taken down on the last day of the month. Applications are always welcome. Art Display Policy.
There are two display areas:
- Display cabinets in the lobby near the Beauregard entrance. There are 3, two-sided cabinets. Each side has a viewable area of 92" wide and 42" high. Items are mounted to the cabinet boards themselves or may be put onto foam core boards which are set into the cabinets.
Display Case - also on the first floor near the main entrance, for three-dimensional items. Four glass shelves that are 10" deep and 45" wide in a lighted cabinet.
To have an exhibit at Angelo West Branch, call 325-659-6436 and ask for the Librarian.
Permanent Exhibits at Stephens Central
One of the pleasures of visiting Stephens Central Library is being surrounded by art. As you arrive at the library, notice the huge mural on the exterior west wall above Irving Street by Italian-born artist, Remo Scardigli, done as a tribute to San Angelo in the early 1970’s. It recognizes the many facets of San Angelo’s economy such as agriculture, medicine, law, engineering, oil and ranching.
A wide-eyed owl sculpture by Scott Sustek greets patrons coming into the library at the Irving Street entrance. Once inside the lobby, before going into the library, don’t miss the donor recognition wall. It was designed by San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts Director, Howard Taylor and executed by a number of different artists and craftsmen. All of the handcrafted ceramic tiles are hand painted and include owls, quotes and donors’ names. Its frame is hand carved wood. A full description is hanging on the opposite wall.
There are bronze statues throughout the library including Raul Ruiz’s life size statue of Elmer Kelton. On the second floor outside of the Administrative offices, there is a collection of 14 small bronzes of animals depicted in their natural habitats by Edward Kemeys (1843-1907), who is considered to be America’s first specialist in animal sculpture. These are on permanent loan to the Library from the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts.
A very large and dramatic painting of a stagecoach fleeing Indians is on the east wall of the second floor. It was painted on commission in the early 1970’s by William Niedzwecki and later donated by his family to TGC Library. Also on the second floor is a framed House Resolution featuring the Texas Dawn Lily, photographed by Jim Bean.